Saturday, October 27, 2012

DISNEYLAND

Meeting Mickey and the 'gang'


Dear Christian
Hugs all around
It has been many weeks since I have written anything. I struggle when I try to come up with words so I thought if I wrote you another letter the love would flow and the words might follow. I can’t believe that it has been almost a whole week since we have returned from Disneyland. Time is just flying by and I want to find a place to store it in my heart before it disappears!
View from our room (and the Ferris wheel you loved!)
I read a blog the other day that was so inspiring I knew I had to write about it. It was a mom writing a note to other mom’s and Dad’s about truly capturing and remembering the small, quality time we spend with out kids. It wasn’t about our kid’s firsts (as in steps or words) but out children’s lasts. In our case it hit close to home; yet each of us should live each day as though it may be our last or our children’s last. She spoke about being annoyed when her son asking her to cuddle with him while he fell asleep. She was busy and had many other things to do that night. But she reluctantly laid beside him and just at the moment she thought of getting up he flung his arm around her neck and even thought she said it “had the weight of a wet piece of bread”, his arm was like a heavy piece of armor keeping her there, close to him. Instantly her heart was full and she wondered when her son would decided not to ask her to cuddle with her anymore – could this be the last night. 
I think we love each other!!!!
A long week of Disney....aaaahhh life is good!
The scary moment is realizing that most of us won’t know that we have had our lasts with our kids until long after its happened. When was the last night feeding? The last time you crawled in bed with them? The last time they asked you sit with them and watch cartoons? The last time they wanted you to bath with them? Or the last time they grabbed your hand while going on a walk? These are some of the things that maybe we don’t have time for in our ‘busy’ day. But when we sit down one day, 20 years from now, will I remember those lasts? I pray God graces me with the ability to remember. Even to read back over this blog and remember. So please in honor of all the children fighting to live another day – take the time to truly immerse yourself into your child’s life. Hold them, kiss their noses and touch their cheeks with your hands. Hold their little faces and tell them how much you love them and how proud of them you are. Lay beside them when they are sleeping and feel them breathing on you and watch their chest rise up and down. See how peaceful there are and imagine what they could be dreaming about. Hold their little hands while they are sleeping and feel how soft and limp they are – how fragile our children are and how much they need our physical touch and love. God bless this woman for opening my eyes to these things. (I am sorry I can’t reference her I don’t remember whose Facebook page had the link).
What a trip to Disneyland without Teacups!!!


Well Christian we just came back from the most amazing vacation ever!!!! I don’t even know where to start. The special moments are almost too numerous to write about. I have written a very long letter about our vacation but it would take up a whole week of blogs so I will try to abbreviate it for you!
We walked into the airport early on Sunday morning (after you asked me if it was still the middle of the night!) and were greeting by the staff of the Make A Wish foundation and from Jersy City, who were partial sponsors for our wish. We boarded the plane, you got a quick tour of the cockpit and off we go! When we disembarked off the plane in Anaheim you were greeted by Darth Vader’s anthem – so the whole airport knew who was getting off the plane! PS Westjet is just about the coolest Airline EVER!!! We quickly made our way to the hotel, checked in and off we went! The first day was complete with Lego store shopping; eating dinner on the patio in Downtown Disney, a monorail ride though Disneyland, a few cool rides in Cars Land and finally VIP seats for the most amazing fireworks show ever! And this was just the first few hours!


Learning the skills of a Jedi Knight
Christian with the 'wish' genie

You loved the 'wish lounge'
Monday morning arrived, which was your official “wish” day. The Orange county chapter of Make A Wish organized a private meet and greet with Mickey and his gang as well as a session to become an official Jedi Knight by fighting Darth Maul (This is what your wish really was – to fight Darth Maul).  So off we went, you took in a few rides and made our way over the wish lounge (set up for wish families) where you got to meet Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Pluto. It was so cool and remarkable to see the characters up front and live – they were so excited to meet you, Evelyn and Ryan. Unfortunately Evelyn wasn’t crazy about touching them but she was still eager to see them (as long as they didn’t touch her!) After we took lots of pictures, played and colored with the characters and Goofy played with your make a wish hat, we were off to Tomorrow land for your Jedi Training.

He was a bit slow.......hahahaha
You were ‘chosen’ from the crowd of screaming kids and made it front and center with the Jedi Master. You quickly learned the moves and didn’t smile once, as if you were taking your job VERY seriously. Your moment arrived quickly when Darth Maul was pacing in front of you – waiting to get his hands on you. He approached you and you immediately crouched down and began slamming him with your light saber. I was so proud! You had your feisty face on and you just kept moving. It was such a special moment – I will admit I did shed some tears. I was just so proud and happy for you, that you finally got to do the one thing you have been asking to do for the last year.

After the Jedi training we had a special meet and greet (although the characters from the dark side didn’t seem to want to exchange pleasantries!) with Darth Vader, Darth Maul and the Jedi Masters. As Darth Maul approached you and sneered, you didn’t back away but instead lunged at him and punched him in the family Jewels (well almost!) I can still see his yellow eyes as they beaded out at me in shock, it was then and there that your fight became so unbelievably obvious. This is one of the main reasons you are still alive. You are the bravest fighter ever,
Add caption
The rest of the week was filled with amazing rides, shows (Aladdin and Disney Junior), lots of swimming at the pool, riding the water slide, having character suppers and breakfasts, shopping at the Disney stores and many more Character meetings. I learned that you are fearless when it comes to rides, the bigger the better! Star Tours, Radiator Racers, Goofy’s roller coaster and the gigantic Merry Go round were your favorites. I learned that you are sweet, kind and not afraid of anything. You even gave yourself a massive bloody nose at the pool when your face decided to get a closer look at the edge of the pool -and soldiered on to ride the slide some more! When you met Mr. Incredible and your daddy told him that you used to watch him almost every night when you were in the hospital (and many more) he was so proud and you lifted up your shirt to show him your cool battle scars. I think it is true – you might be the new Mr. Incredible.
Christian and Frozone
The other very cool thing we got to do was to drive down to Coastal California and see Laguna Beach and golf at Pelican Hills. (Thanks to Aunty Ryan who organized this for us!) It was a spectacular day with nice food, feet in the ocean and clubs on the greens.
Laguna Beach


Pellican HIlls Golf course
Cinderella telling you a secret!
When it was our time to depart we were exhausted and full of the magic of Disneyland. I have a hard time describing to people how the vacation was. There are many words to describe it; magical, thrilling, cheerful, exciting, happy and stressful at times. But the thing that I enjoyed most about our vacation was watching you enjoy yourself. I know how hard you have fought to be with us and it was like you finally received the validation your deserved. People saw your Make A Wish shirt and were so amazing with you. The characters always gave you an extra hug and understood that you and your brother and sister are so special. I was so happy that we were able to create an environment where we could honor you and your fight; we could congratulate your desire to live and your zeal for life. I am so proud of you, Evelyn and Ryan and once again I am ecstatic to see what the rest of our lives have to hold. God bless you Christian Crowell, Jedi Knight.
love Mommy
Evan did love Minnie Mouse! They pretended to be kitty cats together!

A little love from Goofy!


Today I am thankful for:
1.     Make A Wish Foundation
2.     Ice cold pop when its +35
3.     Swimming pools for the kids and soft lounge chairs for me to watch them from
So brave!

His favorite thing to do.....

5 comments:

  1. Megan, thank you so much for the great description of your wonderful Disney trip - the photos are priceless - I have to say the one of the 3 Mouseketeers on the bed :-) Thank you, too, for passing on the message from the other mother - lots of food for thought - even for us older parents/grandparents. Love & Blessings to you all, Patricia (Antigonish)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left out "is my favourite" after 3 Mouseketeers on the bed....

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, it sounds like an amazing trip. I'm so glad you all got the chance to do this!!

    And I appreciate the reminders. I often just stop whatever I am doing and bask in all that is my Gracie. Just to watch her eat quietly or snuggle up beside her while she dozes off at night and watch her breath so calmly or to sit with her and watch her face animate at one of her special TV shows.

    But it's always nice to have the gentle reminder. Because yes...they grow up too fast.

    Lise W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had such a great time...I mean, how could you not, it's Disneyland!

    I often say to Eric, who is 16, that had I known the last time he held my hand was going to be the last time, I would have held on a little tighter and a little longer. They do grow up so quickly and all those moments become memories.

    Bless the Make-A-Wish Foundation for being so awesome.



    ReplyDelete