Sunday, October 21, 2018

string



I stopped writing. I am not %100 sure why. But I think perhaps it is because nothing changed, or maybe things got worse. And instead of writing being cathartic I became aware of how my insides sounded to others. I never did start writing for others, but it morphed into that and then somehow, I could not write for myself anymore. So here we are, close to six years later and it still could have been this evening. I can still smell the hospital, see the tears running down our nurse’s face. I can hear the music playing on Chris phone and I remember the sweatshirt my brother was wearing while I watched him take the Star Wars decals off the hospital wall for the last time. I see the tear roll down his face and his voice catch when he asked me if he could keep one of Christian’s toys. I see the darkness of the hallway and the morgue gurney waiting to take Christian away. I can feel how tight his hand was around mine when Chris picked him up from me for the last time. I can see Nanny and Papa hug and shed tears together, I remember the look of pity on the nurse’s face when I said good bye for the last time. I see the metal hospital carts full of Christians things being pushed out to the car and I can still smell the indoor parking lot and the sound the overhead doors make when they open. Everything about that day, and many before it, are burned in my brain. They will never go away. I am haunted by these days and no amount of therapy, sleeping pills, or distraction makes quiet. 

The reality of life that we live now is sad because it’s a secret. We don’t tell because we know most people would not understand. I mean come on. Six years?! The most dreaded question in mine and Chris’ day, “how are you doing?” Do we tell the truth? Do you have time to sit here and I will cry for a bit? 

Grief morphed into depression and depression morphed into something I can’t explain. And now, just now, we begin the task of pulling ourselves out of this hole. I read a study that was conducted by researchers on marriage after the death of a child. They likened it to our family being like a ball of string. And when a child dies, the whole ball must be unraveled, and that string removed. Then somehow, if possible, the ball of string must be wound back up again. The trouble is it was never meant to be unwound. There are no directions as to how to put it back together and somehow no matter how you do it, it just doesn’t seem right. The ball is never the same without that string. It still functions as a ball of string, it looks like a ball of string, but each strand that used to come into contact with that missing string feels unbalanced and out of sync. They may not even know why they don’t feel right, but something is missing. And the strings can only be wound back together if they ready. For many families the strings are never able to be a ball again. When Christian left our ball of string the depth and complexity of each maneuver his string took touched so many different parts of our family that I know it will take a lifetime to repair. But this I am sure of. Our strings will become a ball again. Even if it means we have to unravel time after time to get it right. Each string must do their own work to discoverer how they fit in the ball, how they will function when they can no longer depending on that missing string. 

This is the new journey to make our family complete again. I have no idea what it looks like. I have no idea where it will take us. I know that hearts can be mended and even in our grief God orchestrates our days. He knows what is coming and His plans are great. This blog is going to morph like our family. I have no new pictures of Christian to post. I have no updates on hospital, chemo, counts, blood transfusions, surgeries, recovery and NG tubes. But we still have a whole family. A beautiful family. Like a caterpillar we will transform and become something beautiful after the struggle. Welcome to our messy ball of string. 

11 comments:

  1. Hello my name is Christian Crowell, I came across this from Google searching myself. I'm deeply saddened to hear of this poor boy's struggle, through out life.. I'm sincerely sorry for your loss I hope your family has nothing but ups from here on out. Rip. Christian from what I've read he was an absolutely amazing young man. Much love from your extended Crowell family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to so much of what you have said here - the complexity and depth of your family's grief, the dread of those inquiries about 'how you are' and the challenge of how to answer them. How things don't 'get better' in any linear way and often seem to get worse. I am new in my own grief journey, having said goodbye to my son only 4 months ago, but you give me strength each day by your mere existence and your words. I was blessed to know Christian for a short while. He and your family have had a huge impact on me. As I come to terms with continuing to live after my son has died, I think of you all often and fondly remember Christian's pure joy and love of music. Your messy ball of string is beautiful and yet sad and missing a part and yet whole in a way. That make so much sense to me as I look at my own messy ball. Strength and love to you Megan. Hugs to you all, Miss Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that I have received my herbal medicine so he instructed me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cures my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:    Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/   Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endometrial Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases  
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Stuff, do you have a bebo account?
    Hi ,I just want to say thanks a lot for this interesting thread about Day 4 |! Regards, Hier Zahnersatz
    Great post, I concur completely and appreciate the time you took to write it. Cheers!
    ideas here awesome . posted some really good info I just want
    obst und gemüsereiniger

    ReplyDelete
  5. What made you think about such a topic. Its funny I am not the only one that feels that way about it. Keep it up!
    you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then youll know which is right for you.

    Brother Ink Cartridges

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it okay to post some of this on my page if I post a reference to this page?
    Thanks a lot for posting, it was quite handy and helped a lot
    600 high authority UK directory submission and 400 search engine submission

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just great and i could assume youre an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  8. is website has lots of really useful stuff on it. Thanks for informing me.
    What I wouldnt give to have a debate with you about this. You just say so many things that come from nowhere that Im pretty sure Id have a fair shot. Your blog is great vishopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  9. llo there! thanks for posting this. I appreciate your point of view and I see where youre coming from. thanks again!
    I think that is among the most vital info for me. And im satisfied studying your article. However wanna remark on few general things, The site style is perfect, the arSarah Berger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have sodium hypochlorite amazon
    china air purifier
    korean air purifier brands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great information! I would not have gotten this by myself!
    When I open up your RSS feed it looks like a ton of weird text, is the malfunction on my end?
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete